Saturday 29 December 2012

The Great Indian Shame

Once again, this is a post after a pretty long time. In between this and the last one, there have been several occasions where I wanted to sit before this laptop and jot down my feelings. But somehow, I never found the energy to do so. This time, though, is bit different. Today is the day when I am feeling the most ashamed being an Indian. I know, there is no use of complaining about all those now and this is yet another addition to the "morally" right postings on the subject. However, like every other netizen I do enjoy the privilege of "freedom of speech" which I hope will not harm anybody's sentiments.

I personally do not know anybody close who have suffered this cruel fate, but I have seen many who are victims of exploitation from men. If ogling is a form molestation, then yours truly too is an offender of the said charge. Even inside my family I have personally experienced women being unjustly rebuked for no faults of theirs. So what have I learnt from these experiences: "No matter how good a women is, the male-ego somehow finds ways to degrade or look down upon her achievements.  And every woman with an attitude thus becomes arrogant. " So what kind of solution can I think of? Can something like capital punishment instill fear among these so-called superior egos? Or instead can we "out-caste" the perpetrators family from our midst? Homestly, I don't think any of these is going to work out.

As rightly identified by many, this is a societal malice that has generated and transformed through various generations. Only when children see the right practices in front of them will they uphold it and carry it forward to their coming generations. If they see only competition, discrimination and injustice we do not have the right to complain about what is happening around us. So in a greater sense you, me and the whole society is responsible for what has happened in Delhi and what is right now happening across our country in various forms. And it is high time that we think about what we are doing  and act in the best interest of our future. We need to identify that fine line which separates what is right and what is wrong and make sure we never cross that boundary.

And somehow I suddenly see the quote from Zorba the Greek quite meaningful - "You must sometimes rejoice that the dark forces of destruction are so numerous and invincible: for thus your aim to live almost without hope becomes more heroic and your soul acquires a more tragic greatness."


No comments: