Friday 2 November 2012

Walking the Talk

Am just out after watching Usthad Hotel. A good Malayalam movie released this year with a very good message of helping the needy. Call it the Satirist inside me, I have always felt that we all (myself included) are greatest hypocrites. On seeing a classy movie by reputed directors with cheesy actors, we sympathise with those less-than-ordinary men. But 10 minutes post the film we forget all about an issue like it and carry on with our daily routine. It is at this moment that I am reminded about how less we walk the talk.

I think what CTARA has put inside me is a general mindset of looking at the people who loose out first. At this moment I am looking at old people. When I went home this time around, I saw my old grandmother finding it difficult to stay in her renovated house. This was built by grandpa when our original partitioning happened, much before even my dad's marriage. Even with her sons, daughters and grandsons she was literally finding it difficult to move back to the old home after renovation. I was not surprised when I heard her say to others that she has not adjusted with the new house and will find it difficult. Unlike what many others think, old people are more practical and logical about the way things should happen these days. They have accepted the fact that times have changed.

I don't know whether they find my talks bit too rough for their general sensibility, but I do make sure that I am a restrained person amidst their presence. I try to help them ruminate the old memories, I sometimes passively listen about their problems and at times try saying something philosophical. But the feeling that you get while retrospecting at those interactions is highly fulfilling. And this has forced me to look at the option of going to a Vrudhaashram somewhere in Mumbai. Call it a private dream that I had during the last month's cacophony, but now I look at this as an opportunity to mould myself. Hope everything goes fine, and the procrastination bug does not come in, as always. If that works out, I will surely try to put my experiences in this space.

No comments: