Friday 2 November 2012

Keeping your mouth shut

Though the title is an action verb, 3 major questions before make it one of the most troubling puzzle in my life - When, How and Where? And the time could not be more opportune when I am hearing of Section 66A of IT Act being used for twitter and FB users.

From the look of it,  it is yet another attempt to provide a blanket rule to cover up all those junks but in actual practice it will curb the freedom of speech and expression in Cyber world. If I am to apply a little bit philosophy into the whole issue, I believe the extension of world in Cyber-Sphere is letting all the unwanted things associated with our actual world slowly enter it in different forms. If we treat spams as waste's that is polluting the cyber-world, then persons originating the spam are perpetrators of harm in real world. And knowingly or unknowingly we are also becoming part of it. But when extended on to twitter or fb updates or comments this could spell disaster.

I already saw a FB account being deleted owing to yours truly's regular JoKing Sense. Whether what I did was right or wrong now assumes lesser significance compared to the seriousness of a police case if registered by the hapless victim. I do not know whether they will target blogs next, though as per the current definition, published content does not come under its purview. Though it may help greatly in reducing unwanted spams, I am still unsure what it means to democratic forms of speech practiced by netizens.

Until a new a police comes in I will try to answer the three questions to stay out of trouble.

No comments: