Friday 27 January 2012

Through the Looking Glass - Where do I go from here?

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to."
"I don't much care where –"
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go.”
Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
  
This quote sums up answers to many of  questions that  I was asking myself for quite some time. I may be wrong, but I feel many in my generation feels the same about their life paths too. Is it a problem of how we are brought up or is it the problem of the society we live in? By the accepted practices of the globalized world, this would mean that the band of people are headed towards a catastrophe eventually. The next question that needs to asked would be - How did I reach here? And this probably will help in demystifying the idea of which way to go.

Rather than generalizing the concept let me focus on the specific case of which I am aware of - that of myself. The path travelled till around 25 years of my existence was, I would say, the most traditional one. Get a decent schooling which ensures a decent job and jump from one job to another to make the financial status much more better. When an entire crop of youngsters are traversing the same path along with you, I would say that either I was on the right track or something is drastically wrong with the entire generation. I prefer to believe the latter as this would put less blame on me.

But coming to think about on a more serious note, what exactly is the problem? Is it that the idea of a single goal or target never come into the frame at all? Or is it because of the fact that life is getting too messed up to think of long term goals instead of short term targets?


I am of the opinion that my generation has been the witness to best part of the transition period in our country. We have seen the pre and post globalized era while we still were just in school. The growth of technology also happened right in front of our eyes and to say the least world was becoming smaller every day. The children of today are much more aware of happenings around them, thanks to the media and internet, than what they used to be 30-40 years back. Moreover the concept of freedom and creativity are slowly finding various shades of meaning through various activities.


Agreed that not all the things are good and we may have to avoid certain unwanted habits or thoughts from our day-to-day life. But what this should do, eventually, is to show you the path. And I am pretty much sure that its ones own responsibility to make sure that the paths are identified early and simultaneously the tracks are also being laid. In the end the quote should change the very form that it has been taking and provide much sharper meaning and purpose for the way that lies ahead,

 

No comments: